Thursday, January 6, 2011

New Year's Black-eyed Peas

So it turns out I've been living in a bubble for my entire life because I had no idea that eating black-eyed peas on New Year's day is supposed to bring good luck for the upcoming year. I made this discovery when my boyfriend's mom called him on New Year's Eve to make sure he was stocked up on his black-eyed peas for the next day. I then proceeded to Google it, and sure enough, according to Wikipedia anyway, you're supposed to eat black-eyed peas on New Year's for good luck! Who knew?!* Luckily, we were going grocery shopping anyway, so we made sure that black-eyed peas were added to the list.

I kind of threw all the stuff we had together to make these black-eyed peas. I wish I had some green or red peppers, but I forgot to get some at the store. C'est la vie. Even lacking peppers though, I think it turned out just fine. And the hot sauce really helped to fight away some winter chills, that's for sure!

New Year's Black-eyed Peas


Ingredients:

1/2 large white onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced finely
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 15-ounce can, or 4.5 cups of black-eyed peas
1/4 cup crushed red tomatoes
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2-1 tablespoon hot sauce (such as Tabasco), or to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

In a medium to large saucepan, sautee the chopped onion and minced garlic in olive oil over medium-high heat. Add a bit of salt and pepper, while sauteing.

When the onions become transparent, and before the garlic begins to brown, add the black-eyed peas, crushed tomatoes, oregano, and hot sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Let the mixture simmer on a medium to low heat for at least 10 minutes.

Makes about 4 servings.

--
*Apparently a lot of people knew. Now that I too am part of that knowledgeable group I've been noticing black-eyed pea recipes popping up everywhere on food blogs and I've heard so many people mention how they were eating black-eyed peas on New Year's. Seriously, where have I been for the past 25 years?!

0 comments:

Post a Comment