Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Fettuccine in a Creamy White Sauce

I have a confession. I actually made this for dinner quite some time ago. I'm talking weeks. I've had the picture uploaded and all ready to go just as soon as I wrote the recipe out, but I've been lazy. There's no other excuse. Well, the time has come for me to not be lazy anymore! Finally you can all go and make some amazing vegan white sauce for your pasta.

Other things to look forward to now that I'm not going to be lazy: my sister's coconut with raspberry preserves and a lemon butter cream frosting birthday cake*, granola bars, and lemon poppyseed muffins. Get excited.

*Yes, I'm aware it has basically been a month now since I first mentioned posting about her birthday cake, I'm just trying to build suspense.**

**I'm actually just waiting to get the pictures from my mom's camera, but I haven't been home since my sister's birthday festivities.
Vegan Fettuccine in a Creamy White Sauce

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon vegan butter
1 and 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
salt and pepper to taste
1 bay leaf
extra unsweetened non-dairy milk
1/2 pound fettuccine

Directions:

Melt the margarine in medium to large pan. Add the flour and stir for about 2-3 minutes to make a roux.

Pour in 1/3 cup non-dairy milk and keep stirring over low heat. As the milk and flour mixture thickens, pour in another 1/3 cup of milk while continuing to stir. Note: you might want to stir with a whisk to help break up any clumps of flour.

Add the bay leaf, salt and pepper, and another 1/3 cup non-dairy milk. Keep stirring as it simmers.

Add more milk until you've reached the desired consistency.

While the sauce is simmering over a low heat, boil 4 cups of water with 1 teaspoon of salt in a medium sauce pan.

Once the water comes to a boil, add the fettuccine and turn to medium heat.

When the pasta is al dente, remove from heat and drain the water. 

If your white sauce has thickened too much while the pasta was cooking, add more non-dairy milk and salt and pepper to taste. Once it has reached the desired consistency, add the pasta to the sauce and coat evenly. 

This pasta is great served with green vegetables and garlic bread. Also don't forget to remove the bay leaf before serving.***.

Makes 2 servings

***Whenever my dad used to cook things with bay leaves he never really bothered to take them out...okay, well actually the fact is that my sister, mom, and I always started digging in while whatever he was making was still simmering, so he hadn't gotten to the point of taking out the bay leaf. But anyway, because of this, it was somewhat inevitable for someone to get the bay leaf in his/her dish. So it sort of became a thing that whoever got the bay leaf in his/her bowl/plate/cup/whatever was the winner. What we won, I'm not sure. I have yet to receive anything. But I remain hopeful. Fingers crossed for a jet pack!

0 comments:

Post a Comment