Monday, March 7, 2011

Berry Cake Filling

Look familiar? A few days ago it was my boyfriend's birthday, which I wrote about on this little blog of mine as well as posted quite a few pictures, including the outside of the above raspberry cake. Well, as promised, I am now posting a picture of the middle of the cake and am giving you the recipe for the berry filling. The cake and icing recipe is pretty much* the same as the red velvet cupcakes I posted a few months ago, but the berry filling is a new addition. I used the same recipe for both cakes, they only differed in the type of berry. They were pretty straightforward; for the raspberry cake I used only frozen raspberries, for the blackberry and strawberry cake I used frozen raspberries and fresh blackberries.

*I say "pretty much" because there were actually two slight alterations: 1) I didn't have red food coloring so it just became a chocolate cake, and 2) I added a bit of shortening to the frosting (about 2 tablespoons) to make it a bit more manageable, since cream cheese frostings have a tendency to melt quickly and not hold their shape when decorating with them.

Vegan Berry Cake Filling

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups frozen berries
1 tablespoon corn starch
2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh is better)
1/4 cup sugar

Directions:

In a small saucepan combine the berries, corn starch, lemon juice, and sugar and slowly bring to boil over medium to high heat. Continue to stir until the mixture begins to thicken. Let thicken to desired consistency. For a cake filling you want it to be like jelly.

Let the filling cool for at least 2 hours in the fridge, or until it is completely cool before spreading on the cake.

Makes about 8 oz.

0 comments:

Post a Comment