Sunday, July 22, 2012

Vegan Buttermilk Raspberry Scones

I still have two more stops on the New York City food tour to write about, but I thought I'd take a break today to share with you this recipe for Vegan Buttermilk Raspberry Scones.

I have a confession about these scones, but before I tell you, I want you to know they are delicious and I am not dead. With that said, my confession is I used expired hemp milk. Here's how that happened:

I really wanted to make scones, but we didn't have any soy milk. As I searched the kitchen high and low in my pajamas for any hiding soy milk, I started weighing my options of either giving up on the scones idea or getting dressed to go to the grocery store. It was then I saw the carton of hemp milk that had been given to me and my fiancé a long time ago. Sure enough, it had been expired for about a year, but it didn't smell bad, it didn't taste bad, and it still looked like a non-dairy milk. So since I was just making these for myself and using expired hemp milk was far more appealing than getting dressed, I decided to use it and if the scones ended up worse because of the decision, my dogs would just get a special treat.

Well, you already know the end of this story and as for now no one has food poisoning. My general rule of thumb of if it smells okay and it tastes edible, then it's fine came through once again. It may get me in trouble one day, but so far it hasn't failed me yet.

I can't be the only one who takes expiration dates as more of a suggestion than the rule, right?

Vegan Buttermilk Raspberry Scones



Ingredients:

3/4 cup non-dairy milk (I usually use soy)

3/4 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 cups sifted unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup cold unsalted vegan butter, cut into small chunks (I used Earth Balance soy butter)
1 eggs worth of egg substitute:
       1/2 tablespoon tapioca starch
       1/2 tablespoon potato starch
       1/8 teaspoon baking powder
       1/16 teaspoon guar gum
       1 teaspoon cooking oil
       2 tablespoons soy milk
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries, if using frozen, ensure they are completely thawed first
1 1/2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted (I used Earth Balance soy butter) (optional for brushing the top)
1 tablespoon granulated sugar (optional for sprinkling the top)

Directions:
Heat oven to 425˚ F.

Combine soy milk and vinegar and set aside to curdle.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add shortening or butter and toss lightly with flour; place in the fridge.

In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and vinegar mixture and the egg substitute; place in the fridge.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat; set aside.Lightly dust a counter top with flour.

Remove bowls of flour and milk mixture from the fridge. Cut butter into the flour with a pastry blender, or with a fork until it resembles course crumbs. 

Add buttermilk mixture all at once to flour mixture and stir until the mixture clumps together. Pour contents of the bowl onto the floured counter top and continue to knead the dough with floured hands until everything is combined. Pat the dough into a circle about 1/2-inch thick. Cut into 8 slices (like a pizza), or into whatever shape you prefer. Place scones on lined baking sheet; brush gently with melted butter and sprinkle sugar (optional).

Bake in preheated oven for 13-15 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Remove to cooling rack.

Makes 8 scones.

0 comments:

Post a Comment