Thursday, July 19, 2012

Vegan in New York - Foodswings

Stop 4: Foodswings
Before my sister even knew I was going to New York, she told me I had to find a way to get myself to Foodswings. She had never been and was basing her recommendation completely on their menu, which is chock full of fast food: Milkshakes, burgers, fries, drumsticks, and all sorts of other things that are readily available to the general public, but not so much for vegans. 

I ended up coercing a bunch of non-vegan friends to join me while I satiated my vegan milkshake cravings after a long and exhausting circus class, which by the way oh.my.goodness talk about post-workout soreness...I have a new found respect for acrobats. But enough about exercise, let's talk about food.

Foodswings was fantastic! I don't know if you can tell from the second picture above, but I couldn't wait the 3 seconds it took for my drumstick to come out before I drank nearly 1/4 of my peanut butter, chocolate cookie milkshake, it was so good. Let's be real though, milkshakes aren't that hard as long as you're starting off with a good non-dairy ice cream - which I found out they buy, rather than making in house. What blew me away was the drumstick. I ordered the southern fried variety, with a side of barbecue sauce for dipping. It was some of the best fake chicken I have ever had. So crispy on the outside and I still have no idea how they got the inside the texture they did. Can anyone identify the mystery faux meat? I'm thinking it's in the wheat gluten family.

It's places like Foodswings that make me grateful I don't live in a big city yet; otherwise, I would most assuredly be part of the small percentage of obese vegans. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not. 

(Unrelated, but sort of related side note: I recently found out The Veggie Grill is opening a new location in Seattle just a few blocks from where I'll be living! The fiancé and I are quite excited, but have also started brainstorming ways to increase our aerobic activity. I'm standing by my suggestion to join the circus, but I'm not sure he's sold just yet.)

For more vegan food in New York.

0 comments:

Post a Comment