Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Vegan in New York - Chickpea and Olive

Stop 3 on the NYC vegan food tour: Chickpea and Olive at Smorgasburg

As we strolled through the various booths at Smorgasburg, the Saturday food market in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, I spotted a bright orange banner with stitched, plaid lettering spelling out "Vegan Sliders" from across the way. I was drawn in like a moth to a flame. 

I tried samples of the Grilled Daiya Cheese on multigrain bread with a spicy aioli and the Tater Salad. Both were delicious. I also tried their lemon ginger ginseng iced tea, which had a wonderful flavor, but as I've mentioned before, I'm a sweet tea kind of girl, so I ended up saving my $3 and passed on the full glass. What I did get a full portion of was what drew me to their stand in the first place, the Phatty Beet Slider with all the fixin's. 

The slider was made out of beets, lentils, barley, and mushrooms. It was sandwiched between a homemade vegan brioche bun and topped with habanero ketchup, vegan mayo, pickled jalapenos, Daiya cheddar cheese, tomatoes, and lettuce. It was exactly perfect;  I can't think of anything that could've been added or taken away to make it better. I'd even venture to say it was the best thing I ate all weekend, which is saying a lot since the weekend also included vegan milkshakes and drumsticks. 

From what I understand, Chickpea and Olive doesn't have a store front, but you can find them every Saturday at Smorgasburg, and every Sunday at the Brooklyn Brewery. They also offer cooking classes at Haven's Kitchen. And they are available for catering. Definitely check out their website and track them down some way some how, because Chickpea and Olive is a must. And when you do find them, be sure to get your hands on some (or 80) of those Phatty Beet Sliders.

0 comments:

Post a Comment